Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Photography

Hello avid SACC blog readers,

I am the lead assistant for the photography lab and will be giving you tid-bits of information about photography this semester.

I would like to start off by recommending a video for everyone to watch. This video is done by Alex Roman of http://www.thirdseventh.com/. The video name is "The Third and The Seventh." From his description I take the name as the sequence of art forms. He uses Architecture the Third and video the seventh form of art in a historical context. I hope you enjoy the video there is beautifully shot architecture, exciting camera work, old school cameras, tributes to Robert and Shanna Parke Harrison (Architects brother) and most important Milwaukee's own architectural wonder MAM.
Check it out and enjoy.

The Third & The Seventh from Alex Roman on Vimeo.



I would also like to recommend taking a walk over to the architecture building and looking at the photography show up in the gallery--Inflected Modernism: The Architecture Photography of Balthazar Korab. He was a prominent architectural photographer in the 60-70's. Working with Eero Saarinen,Frank Lloyd Wright and other modern Architects a like. You can see stunning images of the Milwaukee War Memorial and Falling water. It only runs for another week so rush over there and check out the beautiful B&W Prints.

Finally I would like to extend the welcome to be a part of my photography classes this semester. I will be teaching an Intro Black & White Photography Class every Thursday starting Feb. 18th that will go until March 18th. You will learn the basics of your film camera, sharpen your composition skills, and start developing from black and white negatives. You must provide your own camera. The other supplies are available for purchase at SACC. I will also be teaching a refresher course for those who have ventured into a darkroom before but have been gone for some time. I will introduce you to our photography space and remind you of the darkroom details that might have slipped away.

Well stop in to the craft center and ask for, me, Corey Gaffer if there is a photography question on your mind. I will try to answer them all.

I almost forgot--if you would like to join Focus, the photography club at UWM, come to the Craft Centre on Mondays at 6:30. We network, create, and show student work.

cggphotography.blogspot.com

No comments: